2 large green plantains
1 cooked rotisserie chicken
1 whole white onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon garlic
lime wedges to squeeze on top
Directions: Chicken Vaca Frita
1. In a bowl, add the shredded chicken with lime juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Let marinate about 20-30 minutes. This will also work with fresh garlic if you prefer.
2. In a large pan, add olive oil and sauté onions until translucent.
3. Add shredded chicken to the pan and fry for about 10 minutes, until brown and crispy. Set aside.
1. Dip Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a large baking sheet with oil.
2. Trim the ends off the plantains. Score each plantain along two sides deep enough to cut through the skins.
3. Microwave the plantains until they become soft in the center. For 2 plantains this will take about 6 to 6 1/2 minutes. For 1 plantain, about 3 to 3 1/2 minutes, depending on your microwave. The skins will become black.
4. Peel the plantains and cut them into 3/4 inch thick slices while hot. You should get about 12 per plantain.Smash the hot plantains (this needs to be done while hot) with the bottom of a jar, can or something flat. I used a tostonera commonly found in Latin Markets, but anything flat will work.
5. Place them on the prepared baking sheet and generously spray with oil, season with salt and bake until golden on the bottom, about 10 to 12 minutes. Turn and bake on the other side until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Season with more salt and cover with the chicken vaca frita.